- $24.2 Billion
- Travel Expenditures
- Jobs Generated
- $1.9 Billion
- State & Local Tax Revenues
- $66 Million
- Travelers' Daily Spend
Tennessee tourism generated $24.2 billion in domestic and international travel spending in 2021, according to recently released economic impact data from U.S. Travel Association and Tourism Economics. It also marks the largest visitor spending nationally in Tennessee’s history. Travelers in Tennessee spend an estimated $66 million per day. Travel in Tennessee generated $1.9 billion in state and local tax revenue. Travel and tourism is also the third largest employer in the state.
Key Highlights from 2021 report:
• Tennessee tourism generated a record $24 billion in domestic travel spending
• Travel and tourism is the third largest employer in TN in 2021
• Travelers in Tennessee spend an estimated $66 million per day. Visitor spending in Tennessee increased by 44.4%, year over year. Visitor spending nationally increased by 35.7%, year over year
• All 95 counties saw an increase in visitor spending over 2020
• 51 counties fully recovered and exceeded their 2019 visitor spending record
• Nine counties experienced more than 40% growth in year-over-year travel spending, including Davidson, Cheatham, Sevier, Union, Polk, Grundy, Knox, Blount and Hamilton
• Five counties experienced more than 40% growth over 2019 travel spending, including: Cheatham, Union, Lake, Hickman and Meigs
• Travel in Tennessee generated $1.9 billion in state and local tax revenue in 2021
• Travel-generated tax revenue generated by tourism saved each Tennessee household $755.41 in state and local taxes last year
The department also operates 16 Welcome Centers along the interstate highway system in Tennessee. Each of the Welcome Centers is equipped with a toll-free telephone system allowing travelers to make hotel, motel, and campground reservations anywhere in Tennessee, as well as free Wi-Fi.
To increase the state’s economic viability and support the growth of tourism in all 95 counties by inspiring travel, developing programs and enhancing industry partnerships which drive job creation, tax revenue and new investments, thereby enriching the quality of life for every Tennessean.
To be the global music destination of choice; a diverse American experience offering family fun, outdoor adventure, live entertainment, sporting events, festivals and a showcase of craftsmanship at the crossroads of rich history, local cuisine and renowned scenic beauty.